November Meeting Minutes
MCA Board Meeting Minutes, November 2, 2011
Note: Tasks to be completed in bold italics
Members Present: Tim Silvers (President), Greg Encelewski (new Director), John Recktenwald (Director), Jim Sellers (Director), Randy Plant (Treasurer), Vicky Lytle (Director, Hiking & Climbing Committee), Mark Smith (new Secretary), Galen Flint (new Vice President), Brian Aho (Director)
Also Present: Steve Gruhn (Scree Editor, Geographic Names Committee), Greg Bragiel (Hut Committee), Wayne Todd (Former President), Travis Taylor (Equipment)
- Huts: Urine diverter discussion, experience with system installed at new AAC Snowbird hut may provide useful information. Greg will contact Cindy Squire. Mint hut: Broken laterns will no longer be replaced. Too many problems with non-MCA users, board decided not to make hut too comfortable. Bomber hut: needs paint. Dnigi hut: door missing on toilet request help from snowmachine club (primary users at Dnigi) with supplies delivery/maintenance work/funding. Post hut needs in scree, listserv, etc, in addition to website. Greg to research contact info for clubs, Galen also has some info. Eklutna Traverse Huts: insulate? No, less luxury to keep maintenance costs under control. Need to budget for human waste disposal (no longer free) in addition to helicopter flights and pumping. Alpine Air may be resource for providing information about fill level in barrels. Future lease renewals will probably include specific requirements (Mint, Bomber, Dnigi, Scandinavian, ?) that require plan for human waste management/removal. Discussion about building a new hut. Estimated cost of $18K - $28K plus large volunteer effort. Snowbird reported to be $40K. Development of a hut maintenance / management plan should be undertaken before a decision is made.
- December Potluck: Will be on 12/07/2011 (BP Energy closed on 3rd Wednesday). Galen and Travis will coordinate entree (pizza from Moose's Tooth) and announcement in Scree.
- 2012 Budget: new website has proven beneficial in 2011 (ease of use, simple membership renewal), currently solid membership numbers. Discussion of budget proposed for 2012. Current quote for Directors & Officers insurance of $1,250/yr to be included. Increase admin expense by $1,000 and include “travel” in the description. This will cover the cost of travel to attend annual meeting got benefit sharing proposal with other clubs. Jim to write article in Scree to explain cost and benefit.
- Anchorage Museum Denali Exhibit: Tim will send email with more information
- Policy Updates (Equipment, Commercial use of website, Huts): Tim will contact new secretary
- Library: Mark to find out if APU is interested in providing space.
Mark Smith, Secretary
MCA General Meeting Minutes, November 16, 2011
(1)Treasurer: Exceeded expenses but also revenues for ice climbing festival. Forecast to break even vs budget of -$4K.
(2)Geographic Names: Naming of Murphy Ridge above Gold Cord Mine in Hatcher Pass open to comment. Rat Island to revert to historic name.
(3)Parks Advisory: Anchorage considering requesting state funding to purchase Wallace property with access to Blacktail Rocks in Chugach State Park.
(4)Calendar: On sale now. Special thanks to Carrie Wang, also Brian Aho, for help with layout.
(5)Hiking and Climbing: Trip leader training held with high interest. Another to be scheduled in January.
(6)Huts: Review of usage problems, particularly at Mint Hut. Plan to install urine diverter next summer. Lease requires removal of all waste, including human. Mention of board meeting discussion to limit luxuries (insulation, heaters, ...) to prevent huts from becoming hangout destinations. Located snowmachiner interested in helping with Dnigi maintenance.
(7)Recognition of board and committee members for the past year. Members presented with coffee cards.
(8)Slide Show Presentation by Tim Silvers: Climbing Mt Rainer via the Emmons-Winthrop route.
Next general meeting: Christmas pizza-potluck, Wednesday, December 7 @ BP Energy Center, 6:30 PM
Mark Smith, Secretary
© 2013 Mountaineering Club of Alaska Box 243561,
Anchorage, AK 99524-3561
Many thanks to: Wayne Todd, Tim Silvers, Ross Noffsinger, Steve Gruhn, Carrie Wang, Billy Finley and many others who provided information, ideas and photos. And thanks to Willy Hersman who created, managed and hosted the first MCA website, without which this site's development would have been so much more difficult. Current website donated by Couloir Graphics.