MCA Board Meeting Minutes
April 4, 2012
Members Present: Tim Silvers (President), Randy Plant (Treasurer), Mark Smith (Secretary), Directors: Jim Sellers, Vicky Lytle, Brian Aho, John Recktenwald
1. Website updates – Tim created a new page on the website titled “Front Range Highpoints”.
2. Kit DesLauriers Presentation – John asked that we consider having an information table at the event. Brian offered to get MCA materials there in conjunction with the AMRG.
3. Group Memberships – Denali NPS rangers requested pricing for a group membership, indicating that was the only way their organization could pay. Consideration was given as to whether this should be made generally available, how to price it, and how to control who within the group is covered. All members present voted in favor of offering the Denali NPS rangers a one year group membership on a trial basis. Recommendation was made that the group tell us the number of people to be covered and provide their names. Suggestion was made that it be priced at approximately $15 per person.
4. Library – Mark reporting contacting the person responsible for collections at the UAA/APU Consortium Library. She expressed interest in housing a portion of the collection and requested a list of titles. Brian to distribute spreadsheet for cataloguing the collection to board members, who are encouraged to go to the storage facility and help with the inventory. Jim has a contact at the Loussac Library with whom he’ll check as to whether they would be willing to accept a portion of the material.
5. Equipment – Tim will inventory the equipment, which is housed at Arctic Self Storage. He suggested that we seek donation of shelving approximately 4’ wide, 2’ deep and 6’ tall.
6. Insurance – Jim provided additional information requested by the broker. He expects to hear back soon with a price quote
7. Benefit sharing with other clubs – No activity.
8. Fred Beckey Presentation – Tim recommended booking another speaker for May. If Beckey is available, we can find another time and venue for him.
9. Vicky said that two younger members on the Bomber traverse trip indicated they would like to see a regular social meeting. Board members noted that Facebook and Meetup are available to members for the purpose of arranging such events.
10. Huts - John will enter Marcin’s information in the hut committee report. Vicky suggested that we count the number of hut users over a period on the Eklutna traverse from entries in the logbooks. Greg will contact Tim with suggestions of changes to the hut descriptions on the website.
11. John discussed ideas for approaching the Samoan community to get young people involved in the outdoors. Tim suggested that the MCA would not want to do this in an official capacity.
Next board meeting: TBD: Wednesday, May 2 or Wednesday, June 6
Mark Smith, MCA Secretary