January 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
MCA Board Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, January 12, 2015
Attendees: Jennifer Duford, Cory Hinds, Max Neale, Nathan Hebda, Stephen Austria, Aaron Gallagher.
- VP-Programs (Galen)
- January: Max presents on Cassin Ridge.
- Treasurer’s report (Aaron)
- The proposed budget was in the Scree for December and will also be in the January Scree. Members will vote for the budget at the January general meeting.
- Secretary’s report (Max)
- We discussed the member survey and are going to begin to address its results and suggestions with these:
- i. Huts are one of the most important things for members and several people suggested having a fundraiser for them. Thus, we’ll have a big fundraiser for huts event in the fall! Aaron, Max, Jennifer, and Galen will organize it.
- ii. People felt the club could be more welcoming to new members. Thus, we will send each new member an email that orients them to the club, possibly survey each new member to learn about what they’re interested in, Board members will greet new members at meetings, and we’ll have quarterly events geared toward new members. Max will write the welcome email. Ed Smith will help to organize the trips.
- iii. Cory and Galen will put together a one-hour ish presentation on the MCA huts. It will include their locations, winter and summer access, photos, stories, nearby peaks, climbing routes, ski runs, etc. We’ll also make a document that summarizes the info and is sent to all new members.
- Huts (Cory)
- DNR leases for Bomber, Mint, were updated for another 10 years.
- Lease for our old Boch’s Den hut (Matanuska Glacier) was officially closed (after tearing it down in 2009).
- Need to submit new lease application/development plan for the Dnigi replacement
- New Hut: next step is getting materials list (awaiting support from Stan Olsen/Dave Staeheli), then pricing for materials and helo.
- Maintenance items need to get to Mint Hut—Greg will announce this at the general meeting. Greg Bragiel has some help lined up for maintenance this summer (installing vents, etc.)
- New stove and lantern globe delivered to Bomber Hut via snowmachine volunteer (thank you to Derek)
- Training (Jayme): Update on Winter Basic Mountaineering Courses: she plans to line up a selection of courses with combo of volunteer and paid instruction.
- Level 1 Avy course, March 5-7 at Hatcher.
- Crevasse Rescue – date TBD. Schedule and sign-up.
- Snow climbing with Dave Staeheli, 4/9 at Flattop. Nathan will arrange a sign-up form and announce it at the next meeting.
- Hiking and Climbing
- Ed Smith is generating a list of trips. Board members will be asked to make calls to members.
- Richard Baranow will lead a winter ascent of Cumulus on 1/22/16.
- Meetup group – 32 people interested in snowshowe crossing Eklutna Traverse. Shaun Sexton will discuss further with Cory.
- Board members will also ask for mentors when they call members to request leadership on trips. Max will ask Rachad if he can be at the next meeting to give an update on the program and to have him send protocols/overview to new board.
- Library. No activity.
- Equipment. No activity.
10. Parks Advisory. No activity.
11. Old Business. We will not make the Scree revenue neutral —not make any changes to the price of the printed version. Aaron will look into how much money the MCA loses by offering the printed version.
12. Next general meeting: 2/16/16, 6:30 pm, BP Energy Center
13. Next Board meeting: Monday 2/8/16 6pm, REI classroom
© 2017 Mountaineering Club of Alaska Box 243561,
Anchorage, AK 99524-3561
Many thanks to: Wayne Todd, Tim Silvers, Ross Noffsinger, Steve Gruhn, Carrie Wang, Billy Finley and many others who provided information, ideas and photos. And thanks to Willy Hersman who created, managed and hosted the first MCA website, without which this site's development would have been so much more difficult. Current website donated by Couloir Graphics.