Hut Inventory & Needs
Hut Needs and Notes
If you are headed to one of the huts please consult the notes below to see what needs to be carried to the huts or fixed. All huts should have repair tools and materials so that anyone can make repairs. If you can help out, contact Greg Bragiel email@example.com OR call 350-5146. Also, if you have a favorite hut and would like to take the lead on organizing maintenance and repairs for that hut, Greg would greatly appreciate the help.
- All Huts - MCA members are requested to adopt a hut, help out with maintenance and keep the Huts Committee informed on what is happening there. Also, please encourage any non-members at MCA huts to become MCA members. THESE ARE YOUR HUTS!!! PLEASE VOLUNTEER TO HELP!!!! GREG BRAGIEL IS NOT ABLE TO COMPLETE ALL TASKS HIMSELF!!!!.
- Pichler's Perch – Please repair roof metal that is missing. Supplies at hut. The plywood floor of the loft near the ladder needs to be reinforced, repaired with available materials so it can hold more weight. Please look for a missing 5 gallon "Poop" bucket in the around the hut and the rocky area and glacier to the northwest. Hut also needs updated human waste system instructions and more wag bags.
- Han's Hut – Han's Hut will be closed July 28 - August 4, 2013 for renovation!
- Rosie's Roost – Look for lost blue human waste barrel (LIKELY IN THE MOAT TO THE NORTH OF THE HUT) please drag it back to the hut if at all possible or GPS for retrieval. Empty human waste barrel to be flown in during Hans’ hut helo operations, exchanged. Eye screws need to be brought in to secure human waste barrel. (Thank you John Brueck for accomplishing this task).
- Mint Hut –1 gal safety red oil paint in foyer of Mint needs to go to Bomber Hut . Need to paint exterior areas of wear; door threshold, frame. Two empty human waste barrels to be flown in during Dnigi Hut helo operations.
- Bomber Hut - Exterior wood needs to be scraped and painted, red oil base paint. Paint will be carried in prior to or flown in during Dnigi Hut helo operations.
- Dnigi Hut - Toilet needs poop chute repairs. 5 gallon bucket liner to be installed. Toilet door needs to be painted. Toilet door needs additional hinge to be installed. Lantern mantles and lantern globe Powerhouse 690A048C needed. Need updated membership applications and club business cards. Hut windows are leaking. Need caulking and painting AND/OR replacing window guards that do not pool water and snow! Maintenance trip is planned one weekend starting May 10-13, 17-20, 24-27 or May 31- June 3. Weather dependent. Hut will be closed.
- Scandinavian Peaks Hut - Items that need to be taken to hut: 2 lantern globes, lantern generator, trash compactor bags and portable loo. Exterior painting needed; door frame, window frames and deck. Outhouse needs to be found, replaced to original position and secured, find door and replace. Need updated membership applications and club business cards. 2nd floor window has ¼ ‘ gap – may be best to fix with weather stripping. Use care when closing window!
Greg Bragiel, MCA Huts Chairman, Updated April 16, 2013
Please observe the pack in- pack out guidelines at the Eklutna Traverse Huts. This applies to all items including human waste. We are considering removal of the human waste barrels due to inattentive parties not affixing them properly. The animals have gotten into the barrels and scattered the contents at Rosie's.
Check out the linked document below for a list of dimensions of the huts and appliances installed.
© 2013 Mountaineering Club of Alaska Box 243561,
Anchorage, AK 99524-3561
Many thanks to: Wayne Todd, Tim Silvers, Ross Noffsinger, Steve Gruhn, Carrie Wang, Billy Finley and many others who provided information, ideas and photos. And thanks to Willy Hersman who created, managed and hosted the first MCA website, without which this site's development would have been so much more difficult. Current website donated by Couloir Graphics.