Hut Inventory & Needs
Hut Needs and Notes
If you are headed to one of the MCA huts, please consult the notes below to see what needs to be carried to the huts or fixed. All huts have tools and materials so that anyone can make basic repairs. If you have a favorite hut and would like to take the lead on organizing maintenance and repairs for that hut, the MCA would greatly appreciate your help. Greg Bragiel firstname.lastname@example.org OR call 350-5146.
All Huts - The MCA Board of directors has decided to phase out the Coleman cooking stoves in the huts. In the future, as a stove fails, it will not be replaced. Be prepared- take your own stove.
- Scandinavian Peaks Hut – Supplies that need to go in: Duct tape, 1X3” wood for future window framing.
- Mint Hut – Maintenance alert/needs- Paint second floor walls. Touch up painting exterior. Supplies on site. Thank you to members of MCA Summer Mountaineering Instructional Trip completing maintenance June 23-25, 2017: General cleaning. Change out human waste barrels. Helo mission planned to change out human waste barrels October 2017.
- Bomber Hut – Maintenance alert/needs- Scrape and paint outside wood. Install two windows in kitchen area. Clean with TSP and paint inside walls of hut. Install weather-stripping to door. Install deadbolts interior and exterior of door. Supplies on site. Helo mission planned to deliver supplies October 2017. Thank you to members of MCA Summer Mountaineering Instructional Trip completing maintenance June 26-27, 2017: Cleaning.
- Dnigi Hut – Maintenance alert/needs- Evaluation of hut structural integrity. Supplies that need to go in: Lantern globes.
- Pichler's Perch – Maintenance alert/needs- None. Supplies that need to go in: Lantern mantles, wire mesh lantern globe. Thank you Martin Ksok for completing helo mission with Alpine Air, June 2017: Changing human waste barrels.
- Han's Hut – Maintenance alert/needs- Thank you Martin Ksok for completing helo mission with Alpine Air, June 2017: Changing human waste barrels.
- Rosie's Roost – Maintenance alert/needs- Thank you Martin Ksok for completing helo mission with Alpine Air, June 2017: Changing human waste barrels.
- Additional supplies available for placement at any hut: Wag bags (~ 100) for human waste collection/ pack out along Eklutna Traverse. Two functional Coleman stoves. Tools: Saw, Pliers, Screw drivers, Metal snips, Stapler, Hammer, Paint tray, 2 roller brushes, 4 Paint rollers, Door lock set, Crowbar, Caulk gun, Socket set.
Greg Bragiel, MCA Huts Chairman, Updated November 20, 2017.
Check out the linked document below for a list of dimensions of the huts and appliances installed.
© 2017 Mountaineering Club of Alaska Box 243561,
Anchorage, AK 99524-3561
Many thanks to: Wayne Todd, Tim Silvers, Ross Noffsinger, Steve Gruhn, Carrie Wang, Billy Finley and many others who provided information, ideas and photos. And thanks to Willy Hersman who created, managed and hosted the first MCA website, without which this site's development would have been so much more difficult. Current website donated by Couloir Graphics.