Hut Inventory & Needs
Hut Needs and Notes
If you are headed to one of the MCA huts, please consult the notes below to see what needs to be carried to the huts or fixed. All huts have tools and materials so that anyone can make repairs. If you have a favorite hut and would like to take the lead on organizing maintenance and repairs for that hut, the MCA would greatly appreciate the help. If you can help out, contact Greg Bragiel email@example.com OR call 350-5146.
All Huts - The MCA Board of directors has decided to phase out the Coleman cooking stoves in the huts. In the future, as a stove fails, it will not be replaced. Be prepared- take your own stove.
- Scandinavian Peaks Hut – Supplies that need to go in: Duct tape, 1X3” wood for future window framing.
- Mint Hut – Maintenance alert/needs- Paint second floor walls. Take your own stove. Be sure to open door and upstairs window when running a stove in the hut. (Minimize the mold problem that has been increasing).If the outhouse toilet barrel appears full switch the seat with the blank. Urine separator hose must be disconnected, moved under the bar separating left and right sides and reconnected (another barrel under) DO NOT OVERFLOW THE POOP BARRELS!!! Thank you to members of Scout Troop 144 for completing maintenance June 3,4,5 2016 :Installed hut vents. General cleaning. Change out full outhouse barrels. Install urine separator. Clean and repair Coleman stove. Need Helo mission to empty outhouse barrels summer/fall 2016
- Bomber Hut – Maintenance alert/needs- Scrape and paint outside wood. Thank you to members of Scout Troop 144 for completing maintenance June 7,8 2016: Cleaning.
- Dnigi Hut – Maintenance alert/needs- Evaluation of hut structural integrity.
- Pichler's Perch – Maintenance alert/needs- Supplies that need to go in: Lantern mantles, mesh lantern globe. Thank you to the MCA Eklutna Traverse team: They installed plaques recognizing the donations/contributions of Rain Proof Roofing and Insulfoam to the July 2015 renovation while traveling the ET April 2016. Human waste barrel is 1/3 full.
- Han's Hut – Maintenance alert/needs- Coleman stove was replaced Summer 2013, currently not working. Left burner key unable to close valve. (Improper use??) Old stove placed back into function April 2016. Human waste barrel is full, no lid. Thank you to Dave Rhodes ET team. They placed a plywood cover as a temporary fix April 2016. Needs Helo mission to change human waste barrel late summer 2016
- Rosie's Roost – Maintenance alert/needs- Noted numerous wag bags in barrel. Posted instructions specify use of these bags for pack it out only. In the future the MCA will NOT place any more Wag Bags in the huts. However will make them available to ET travelers if requested. Human waste barrel ½ full (last changed summer 2015 by Hinds/ Staheli) Need-Helo mission to change human waste barrel late summer 2016
Greg Bragiel, MCA Huts Chairman, Updated June 16, 2016.
Check out the linked document below for a list of dimensions of the huts and appliances installed.
© 2017 Mountaineering Club of Alaska Box 243561,
Anchorage, AK 99524-3561
Many thanks to: Wayne Todd, Tim Silvers, Ross Noffsinger, Steve Gruhn, Carrie Wang, Billy Finley and many others who provided information, ideas and photos. And thanks to Willy Hersman who created, managed and hosted the first MCA website, without which this site's development would have been so much more difficult. Current website donated by Couloir Graphics.